Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Lesson learned or just stupid?

Hola kids! So with my new found resolution to blog more often I thought I'd share a little story with you. A few nights ago I went to visit my niece in ICU after I got off work. Now if you know me, you know my normal work schedule is from 2pm until 11pm so by time I got to the hospital it was almost midnight. This works out fine because like her auntie, my niece is a night owl. Anyway after a little time spent cuddling and loving my little one I head home. Downtown Phoenix is by no means as dangerous as say Chicago's southside but it's not real safe with all the meth heads and such. So I'm stopped at the lights on Central Ave and I see 2 rather shady looking characters crossing 4 lanes of traffic heading straight towards me! Well as it was a balmy 85 degrees I had my windows down and the stereo up. Thank God for power windows cause 2 seconds later, a very scraggly looking gentlemen is knocking on my window. I'm all for helping people but there's helpful then there's just stupid. There is no way in hell I'm rolling my window down. To make matters worse the damn light was not turning green. So this guy keep knocking on my window and now his little friend joins him. Just a few days before I was at church and the sermon was all about community and helping people in need. So this got me to thinking that maybe this was a little test on how well Julie paid attention in church. If I have cash I will give a bit to transients but I've noticed that I am no longer a joyful giver. In fact I was becoming more and more of a bitter giver. Why are so many people always asking for a handout? Whether its friends, family or a stranger on the street some one's hand is always in my pocket and I'm broke! This is not the person I wanted to be. How can I deny someone else a hand up when I've really been pretty blessed in my life. So I rolled down my window a few inches and handed the guy a $5. I don't know if he'll buy food, booze or a hit but the thankful look on his face was enough for me not to care.

Now I tell this story to my mama and she thinks I'm an idiot. I thought I did a nice thing but she's afraid I was gonna get killed. So lesson learned or just stupid?

1 comment:

$teve said...

I think that you did the right thing, Jewels. I hope that you get a warm feeling thinking about how you helped that dude...but you do have to be safe. I know you haven't told your mom that you're packing heat yet...and I respect that...but she's just looking out for her baby girl. Be safe out there...and make sure the safety's on. :)