Friday, May 9, 2008

Listen up people, free is good!

So last night my hotel had the pleasure of being oversold by about 13 frickin rooms! Now normally I don't mind if we are a few rooms over, I mean walking people is not my favorite activity but you gotta do what you gotta do. Unfortunately we had a big group in that had a no walk clause in their contract so regardless of if their people show up or not we can't send them away. Anyways after a few cancels, a few no shows and some help from my morning crew we were down to just one room over. Great news! Walking 1 person compared to 13 is cake. Well then one of my brilliant sales managers decides he wants to make a reservation for a client of his. Nothing pisses me off more than a sales person who thinks of no one but themselves. You think it's no big deal walking someone then you come up to the desk and handle it buddy! He quickly is shown the error of his ways and decides to have his client come in on Friday instead. Once again its all right with the world. Then another asshat (what this is I'm not sure but Brooklyn is a fan of the word) sales manager puts another reservation in! Who are this idiots and why must I work with them!? Then I'm told that we can't boot this person out because they're with another no walk group so now I gotta walk 2 people!

So here is where my free is good speech begins. I realize all things free are not great. No I don't want a free kick to the head, but a free night at a 4 star resort is nothing to sneeze at! Throw in a couple free drinks and breakfast or dinner and you should be damn happy! This is not how the people I choose to walk last night felt. One couple could not believe we were doing this to them! "We drove all the way in from San Diego (whatever it's a 6 hour drive ) and we're exhausted (it's 7pm, man up) and now you're saying we don't have a room!" Ten minutes later I bought them a few drinks and they're on their way. I know drinking and driving bad but hey they asked I'm here to make people happy! Not much later our second lucky contestant walks up, not the brightest light bulb in the bunch, it takes me 20 minutes to explain that a) this is not a personal vendetta I have against her so please don't ask "why me" one more time, b) The hotel I'm sending you to isn't a whore motel on Van Buren (if you're from phoenix or ever been to phoenix you know this is where the whores hang out) it's a luxury resort and c) it's exit 34 off the freeway not 34 miles down the freeway! I finally get her in her car and on her way with typed directions yet she still gets lost. I spend the next 15 minutes on the phone with her guiding her in like a frickin air traffic controller. I know you're all jealous and wish you could be me. If you'd like to trade jobs, you know where to contact me.

2 comments:

Camb said...

Julie! I love your blog! It makes me feel like I'm still in your office talking about stupid people. If it makes you feel any better I had a student who thought Denver was a state.

Jewels said...

I know right? I miss you hanging out in my office! Denver isn't a state? Damn I was misinformed. It wasn't our friend Mu Shu was it?! :)